Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sometimes you get MORE than you pay for

I had an epiphany last night.   When I signed up for Technology class I expected to benefit from the education, expertise and experiences of Mr. Chamberlain---and I have.  However, thanks to technology I have also benefitted from the education, expertise and experiences of Jennifer Scoggins (Mrs. Mimi), Ira Socol, Sir Ken Robinson and the other educators and particpants presenting Ted Talks.  I got really excited when I realized the richness of experience I am having in this class.  Then I started thinking, if I am this excited---what about an Elementary Student who got to chat with his favorite children's book author?  A class studying weather who could skpe with a meteorologist?  A High School Government class that could ask questions of their State Representatives?  The possibilities are endless!  WOW!  I think I am finally starting to get it!

7 comments:

  1. I really like your blog. This is my first time to visit it. You write so well and I envy that. I agree with you about our Technology class. It has been so much more than what I expected. I expected to learn the book and take test, just like most of the other classes. We have learned so much and seen so many new experiences. It has really been exciting.
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave me goosebumps with this post :) I believe you are getting it too!

    Have you figured out yet that now that you know what is "out there" on the internet you are quickly losing the need to have a teacher direct your learning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've hit it right on the head. Take advantage of the tools available and don't feel you have to know all the answers. Just know where to look for them. Your students will be so much better off because of it. And if you ever need a job and want to move here to Omaha, I'd love to have you teach my kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelli,
    I love the power of connection that technology affords us--and our students. I shared some writing that a 5th grade class in my building had done and they were so excited that educators around the world were reading it. Being a bit of a nerd, I feel like I've just met a celebrity every time I connect with authors that I love through twitter!

    Opening those connections for our students will help make everything we do more relevant to the digital lives they experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. I meant to say in my first comment that I find the type color of your blog very hard to read. Other readers may feel the same and it may keep them from reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so exciting when you experience the "shift": The technology tool is seamless, and the learning stands out. True integration. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a teachers aides at the Pineville Elementary School. I like working with the kids and helping them with their reading. Most of our kid's are mild. I do not want to teach special ed. because I live special ed. My son has autism and he is pretty mild, but his largest challenge is language and communication. My goal is to teach Title 1 Reading. When I started with the school district at Noel I worked in Title 1 and I loved it. I love to help the kiddo's with reading.

    ReplyDelete