Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ira Socol and Me

I am going to be totally honest. What I learned in class this week was about me.  You see, after I read Ira Socol's articles, including extra ones,  I didn't like him.  I had him pictured in my head as very political----and by political I mean raging liberal  wonderfully progressive.  I do not know why I formed this opinion and I do not know if it is correct but I learned something about myself.  I have become judgemental and narrow-minded in my "older but not old" age.  As soon as Ira started talking I was hooked!  His care for children and the things he cares about are amazing.  I only hope that, I can bring the passion to my class that he seems to.  So thank you, Ira Socol! The next time I hear an idea and automatically dismiss it or refuse to listen to new ideas I will think of you and what I would have missed out on if I had dismissed what you have to say.  Oh yeah and I LOVE widgets!

3 comments:

  1. What a powerful experience. Living here we seem to naturally have a political bias towards conservativism. What I have discovered through my developed relationships is that most of us have similar beliefs when it comes to important things. It is simply how we would attack the problems that separate us.

    It is a very valuable lesson to be able to realize there is more to a person than a political ideology and that we can learn very valuable lessons from each other in the process.

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks. We are always learning! It's what we do that counts. That's how we learn. Talk is talk. Doing works miracles (sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelli!
    I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama and I was assigned your post to comment on. I thought your post was great and I feel the same way. I find myself judging people all the time and it makes me stop and think about what I am doing.I really enjoyed reading what you had to say and I now must thank you for when I hear an idea and automatically dismiss it I will think of your blog post and stop myself from dismissing it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete